I'm An Orthodox Jew - My Brother-In-Law Is A Fundamentalist Christian - Shawarma Brought Us Together


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



So back Lonely? Try searching for somebody nice. I lived in an ultra-Orthodox suburb generic Prozac New York City, my brother-in-law, a devout Fundamentalist Christian from upstate New York came to live with us. As you Iowa Lemon Laws imagine, these are two very different backgrounds. Even so, they aren't as different as you might think. No group is so closely politically aligned as Fundamentalists, and they have a love of Israel as the Orthodox as well.

My brother-in-law was just finishing college at the time when I started chatting with him about working for my technology team as a designer. We started chatting about it Don't spend summer alone! a Tuesday - by Thursday Gourmet Foods bags were packed and he was at my front door!

As he was more used to the pace that upstate New York allows, he found a whole world of difference at that fast paced startup. We were both pretty well stressed out, and needed to unwind from time to time, playing ping pong or whatever time would allow. Good times...

So, what really brought us together the most? Shawarma.

(Yes, Im still ranting about Shawarma, touted the Middle Easts version of the taco a whole day after the last post.) There was an outstanding place near our house that served the best shawarma in town, with very generous portions. In fact, there was actually a point that he said that he was going to convert just that he could eat it every day! I told him that he could eat it anyway and that probably wouldnt go very far with his parents :)

Alas, hes moved on. But Ill save him some shawarma for his next visit.

As a native New Yorker, I've always dreamed of traveling to Israel, but have not however had the opportunity. For now, I'll continue to blog about interesting travel tips to Israel, its cuisine, Jewish life, and other random musings.


0 Responses to “I'm An Orthodox Jew - My Brother-In-Law Is A Fundamentalist Christian - Shawarma Brought Us Together”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3